National Poetry Month (celebrated in the US in April every year) is almost over. This annual event helps spotlight the vast catalog of poems written by people from many lands and ages. I love poetry and even write my own poems when I want to express a passing thought or image.

This April, I've read and published a number of poems, both my own work and poems in the public domain. With the ease of copying and pasting on the internet, copyright laws are being broken routinely. As a publisher and writer, I respect these laws and also the right of authors to be properly acknowledged and compensated for their work. So I am careful to try to publish only works (words and images) that are freely available to the public. These laws are complex and vary from country to country, so I need to use my detective skills to stay within the safe zone of copyright-free works.

Here's a wonderful W.B. Yeats poem. Not all of his poetry is in the public domain, but this one is.

------------

The Lake Isle of Innisfree by William Butler Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

A photograph of William Butler Yeats on 24 January 1908 by Alvin Langdon Coburn (1882 - 1966)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using rhetoric to persuade

ILIP announces the publication of Prague for Beginners: Finding Myself in Prague

Writer's block, but not exactly